Types of cases include:
- After becoming involved in an argument, a hospital co-worker made threats to kill his fellow employee. Those threats were shared with security management. A few days later, the co-worker hid in the parking lot and waited for the victim to leave work for the day. Ambushing him, the subject shot and killed him in the hospital parking lot. I was asked to evaluate the hospital’s security posture at the time of the incident, as well as the policies and procedures within the security department related to the handling of received threats/workplace violence.
- Two employees of a nightclub became involved in a dispute over money. Management fired the instigator and had security staff escort her off the property. After briefly going to her car, she returned through an unsecured kitchen door and located the victim. An attack ensured, and the victim sustained facial injuries. I was asked to opine as to the adequacy of the club’s security and whether the attack was foreseeable.
- A celebrity kept an expensive jewelry collection locked in a small safe within the closet of her upscale beach-front hotel room. While dining at the property’s restaurant, 2 thieves entered a secondary lobby and achieved access to guest room floors. They managed to gain forced entry into her room, pry the safe from its foundation, conceal it in a suitcase and ultimately flee the property with over a million of dollars worth of jewelry. I was retained to evaluate the hotel’s security posture and evaluate their adherence to industry best-practices.
- Late one evening at a low-income subsidized apartment complex, 2 individuals were engaged in an alleged drug transaction within one of their apartments. Shots were fired and one of the subjects sustained fatal injuries. The shooter had managed to gain access to the gated property and bypassed security patrols. I was asked to determine if the shooter was able to surreptitiously evade security and illegally trespassed on the property or if the event was purely a targeted incident.
- A shoplifter at a large chain retail outlet was detained by loss prevention staff. Realizing the police were called, the subject pulled a pocket knife from within his shirt and threatened staff. The subject then fled the store in his vehicle. Store staff called the police several times until they arrived. Police pursued the subject, who fled and evaded arrest. After a traffic stop, the subject refused to comply with commands and was shot by responding police officers. The subject succumbed to his injuries. I was asked to opine as to whether the actions of loss prevention staff, or the calls made to 911 by store employees, prompted an escalated response by the police and contributed in any way to his death.